Assistance on Professional Discipline Matters
When a professional learns that their association or regulatory body has received a complaint against them, the next steps are crucial. Indeed, the way that professional discipline complaints are handled typically reflects on the competencies of the professional themselves. If handled poorly, the stakes could be magnified. If addressed in a timely and professional fashion, the worst effects could be mitigated.
Common types of allegations that professionals may face in a complaint include:
- Criminal behaviour such as theft and fraud
- Verbal abuse or bullying in the workplace
- Sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct
- Failure to meet professional standards and incompetence
- Other breaches of a regulatory body’s Code of Conduct or Code of Ethics
Given that complaints against professionals can result in professional disciplinary proceedings, significant penalties – including the potential lose of one’s livelihood – may be at stake. As such, professionals faced with responding to a professional discipline complaint or proceeding are best served with knowledgeable and objective legal counsel that can guide them through the process.
Protecting Your Interests
At Overholt Law LLP, we have the capability to advise clients on a variety of professional disciplinary related matters. Whether you are a professional seeking advice and representation on a professional disciplinary matter, or whether you are an association or regulatory body that requires advice or representation in professional disciplinary proceedings, we are equipped to assist you.
Our lawyers have experience advising and defending a variety of professionals before their respective associations and regulatory bodies, including but not limited to:
- Engineers – the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia
- Physicians – the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia
- Registered Nurses – the College of Nursing Professionals and Midwives
- Pharmacists – the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia
- Lawyers – the Law Society of British Columbia
We pride ourselves in having the experience and confidence to advise our clients on how to resolve matters at the earliest possible stage. Where necessary, we represent professionals through the investigation or hearing phases, always with a goal to achieve a reasonable resolution at the earliest opportunity. Where disciplinary hearings are required, we fight for our client’s position, and their livelihood.
Preserve your professional reputation and minimizing the negative effects of disciplinary proceedings on your career is an important goal. At Overholt Law LLP, we do our best to help you achieve that, so you can get back to focusing your energy on your chosen profession.