Jennifer is a partner at Overholt Law LLP and practices in the firm’s core areas of employment, labour relations, occupational health and safety, and human rights law. Jennifer’s practice involves advising both employers and employees on a wide range of matters arising from the workplace such as hiring and termination issues, severance packages, restrictive covenants, human rights, and workplace complaints, such as bullying and harassment. Jennifer is available to conduct third party workplace investigations, or provide workplace training. Jennifer believes in providing her clients with practical solutions, and thoughtful, straightforward advice. She takes great care in getting to know her clients, and ensuring that her advice fits their specific needs and objectives.
Jennifer began her legal career with a two-year clerkship with the Federal Court of Canada. She articled at a large national firm in downtown Vancouver before being called to the Bar, and moving on to practice at a boutique labour and employment firm. In 2006, Jennifer joined the Vancouver Police Department and worked as a Patrol Constable in south-east Vancouver for almost 7 years, answering 911 calls and investigating a variety of criminal offences, before returning to the practice of law.
Outside of the office, Jennifer has been a sessional instructor at the Justice Institute of British Columbia in New Westminster, where she taught students enrolled in the Law Enforcement Studies Diploma. She is active as a competitive Ultimate (Frisbee) player, and coach, and has represented Canada in a number of World Championships. When not teaching her puppy new tricks, Jennifer is often painting, travelling, and trying not to fall off her mountain bike.
British Columbia, 2005
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- LL.B. – 2002
- University of Alberta, Canada
- B.A. – 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Vancouver Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Human Resources Management Association
Recent Speaking Engagements
- HRMA Legal Symposium 2017″
- Disability Management and Employee Absenteeism, October 5, 2016″
- Current Legal Issues and Trends in Human Resources Management, April 20, 2016″
- HRMA Legal Symposium 2016, Privacy in the Workplace, February 25, 2016″
- Board Member, BC Ultimate Society
- Assistant Coach, Team Canada U-23 Women’s Ultimate, 2015
- Assistant Coach, UBC Women’s Ultimate Team, 2013-2015
- Employment Law
- Labour Relations Law
- Human Rights Law
- Professional Discipline
- OH&S Lawyers
- Corporate Governance, Fiduciary Duties And Shareholder Disputes
- Privacy And Freedom Of Information
- Pension And Benefits
Latest Blog Post
The beneficial effects of a diverse and inclusive workforce have been well-documented. Studies have repeatedly linked diversity and inclusion in the workplace to higher job satisfaction and better performance. Where an employer is able to cultivate this environment,...